Thursday, April 3, 2008

Sick away from home

Oh my gosh! You guys rock my socks! Sorry, I've been wanting to say that and this kind of fits. I'm writing now because we have un fete (a break) from training tomorrow for Senegal's Independence Day and I'm not sure what will be open/available this weekend, but going to keep ot short so others can use this fantastic American keyboard.

Thank you SO much for your words again, they mean a lot to me. Maggie, glad to hear you're alive and no longer sick, I'll look forward to that bowl of my own though perhaps I'll teach you to eat with your hands, making balls of food? ;) Brian, you're right, must be genetic so thanks for reminding me that we aren't the fastest at getting languages... though to be honest, it's hard to think in any single language at the moment. French, Wolof, Seerer, Puular, and English... a lot to filter. I did receive the letter, thank you! Please tell Uncle Mike for me And mom & dad, the singing card was fabulous! One of my friends knew the song and sang along, it was great.


So, I haven't had a chance to tell my parents yet (sorry, I wanted to make sure I was better first) but I got sick away from home for the first time pretty much ever. Being sick in another country isn't fun anyway but w/o your mom to take care of you, it really brings you down. Plus, having body aches and a 102 fever doesn't help... However, if you do happen to get sick away from whoever usually takes care of you, do it around awesome people who let you cry about missing home (Daniel) and will be so kind as to bring you juice to help recover (Daniel and Nathaniel) and who are there to make sure there is water in sick bay for the night (K) and everyone else who was fabulous. (I turn into a baby when I'm sick, some of you know this well) however I'm very glad to have gotten the first bout out of the way and I'm feeling better about the whole deal.

I'm still slowly learning Wolof and will hopefully pass the first evaluation on Tuesday. Ok, time is up, but to quickly clarify, internet isn't expensive, it's just hard to find time to go and the computers have funky keyboards. Also, some things I thought of for care packages are Propel drink mix packages and aloe lotion (yup, already burnt). I hope you all are doing well and be sure to give out hugs for/from me!!!

p.s. sitting in a cafe where we just had pizza for the first time in a month... not the same as in the states but it was FABULOUS!!! :)

4 comments:

mico said...

I didn't know you wore socks there.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brittany, hope u r feeling better, pizza cures all. I would send you a frozen deep dish pizza from Chicago, but thinking it would melt along the way. So instead will work on a care package of things you can use to make that water taste best and some other stuff, too. Hang in there with the language learning, I'm sure it will click soon. BFN :)

Peace Of Mind said...

So we both have these amazing opportunities abroad, but I'm thinking I got the short end of the stick seeing as you're already sunburned and I'm getting pastier by the minute here in freezing Amsterdam...

I hear you on the roller coaster thing (from your last blog), but don't worry... eventually the tracks will even out, the highs will get higher and the lows won't seem so low (the loopty-loops will still get ya, but you learn how to handle them).

Thinking of you! Kassi

Anonymous said...

Thinking about you and missing you! Do you have a new mailing address, or is it the same as the one that you sent in the e-mail before you left? If it's new, please e-mail it to me so I can send you things!! Thanks! Love ya, Brittany!