Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Returning to the States

Well, for those of you I have not yet informed, I have decided to come home this week. I have told the admin staff of my decision and was transported today from Thies to Dakar to hang out for a few days before my flight back to Colorado. By hang out, I mean sign paperwork, get meds to make sure I don't come down with Malaria ever, and meet some other cool people (other currently serving volunteers) if they happen to be having medical issues and need the services of the PC Office.

I know many people will be surprised by this... a few weeks instead of to years is a HUGE difference, but I have given this a lot of thought and talked with a lot of people and have concluded that this is not right for me. It's hard to know what it will be like before you come, imagination can only do so much. I have met AMAZING people here (check out the other peacecorpsjournals.com pages... Alexis has people linked to her AtoZ page) and truely hope we stay in touch. How great will it be to have a group of 30 friends magically appear in 2 years? (Jared, don't forget about meeting me for a Broadway show!)

Seriously though, the people here are incredible and they are going to do some fabulous work. I started to name them all and record their wonderful qualities, but it was getting long and I don't have a list and certainly do not want to leave anyone out. And now I don't know how to end this so... just remember to always have a "Plan B" because no matter how much you plan, life will throw you a curve at a time when you least expect :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brittany, we still love you. You did what is right for yourself and that's all that matters. Be safe coming home.

Maggie E. said...

Hey Brittany,

I'm definately shocked to hear this news, but I think you always have to do what's best for yourself in life. Sometimes things just don't work out, right? We will be happy to have you back, so it worked out for all of us at least!!!

Maggie

mico said...

Brit,

You took a big step just by making the effort. Many people, me included, would never have attempted it but you did. You thought it was right for you so you persued it. I know you would have regretted not trying. Still you have been away from home for 6 weeks, far away. Some might think you are taking the easy road by leaving but that's not true. You put in a great effort to do what you did. You have given it a lot of thought and have had a lot of conversation with your Parents to verify that you are making the right decision to come home. We are proud of you and we welcome you home. Can't wait to see you, Cutie.

Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Brittany, you did what a lot of others never had the courage to do, so be proud of yourself for going to Africa and doing what you did, even if it were for 24 hours, you still gave it a try and it was not for you. I know we are happy that you will be back in the states, and we are still proud of you.
Tamie and Mike