Saturday, March 29, 2008

Quick Update

Wow, so… what to say? I’ve been here a few weeks, I’m living with a host family now, and I’ve had more ups and downs than I can count. Seriously every day is like a roller coaster. Language class is constant and I’m apparently slow at learning languages (compared to a lot of people here anyway). Sorry if this seems a bit discombobulated or anything, I’m typing on someone else’s computer (because I know where the keys are) and there’s kind of a time limit on here as well.
My family is nice, very well intentioned but they haven’t hosted a volunteer before so that presents some frustration for all of us, but I suppose it will be worth it in the end. They gave me a table last weekend for my room so all my stuff doesn’t have to stay on the floor, though most of it is anyway. Oh well. It was super nice of them to give that to me and they are being so patient with me, though I’m guessing their patience is running a bit low since I’m a slow learner.
One major plus is I bike to and from training every day, which is great for my body because I eat rice, couscous, carbs carbs carbs and sit in class a lot. It feels amazing, though with the wind blowing in my face the whole way, it’s a definite work out. Luckily for everyone here as well as myself, I can shower at the center in the morning. J This is all I have time for today, but let me know what questions you have and I’ll try to answer them next week. P.S. people here have started talking about American food and I’m starting to miss it… just letting you know in case you had a betting pool going as to how long that might take.

Oh, and I'm learning to eat with my hands... especially with my right as it is not culturally acceptable to feed yourself with your left. A challenge for a lefty like me but I'm learning :) We all eat out of a community bowl on the floor, washing our hands off before and after. Just a bit of info to give you a glimpse of daily life since I'm not sure what else to include. And to restate what my mom has already said, your words of support and just knowing you care have been very helpful on my hard days and I have those frequently... You guys rock!

One more thing; I know a lot of you have been asking what you can send, what I need, etc. so just to respond to that, pictures are awesome! I cannot print them here so e;mailing them is nice but sending them is better :) and letters, and drink mixes so I do not have to drink water that tqstes like a pool... um... i can get bug spray here but Deet is nice. And just anything I can keep with me to remember you by!

*hugs*

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Brittany! You're going to be a new person after this. I almost wish I was forced to ride my bike to work everyday...

The language thing must be genetic or something since I still only know about 7 Spanish words.

mico said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mico said...

Hi Brit,
It was really nice to talk to you today. It sounded like you were having such a good day :) Did you find anything nice at the market? I'm glad the wind quit so you can breathe again (dust storms). Don't hit any cows with your bike. Stay focused, have fun.

mbuggeel,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Brittany, we were so happy today when we looked online and found another post from you.. The language thing will come I am sure.. I got an F in french class when I was in school but I thought it was pretty good since french started with an F......lol Mike mailed you a letter,
Tamie and Mike

Maggie E. said...

Hey Brittany,

It sounds like an adventure, alright! Don't worry... It will take some time but you'll adjust. And then when you get back to the States we'll have to train you all over again to use silverware and eat out of your own bowl!!!!

Maggie E.