Sunday, March 16, 2008

It Begins...

Hello! Assalah Naalekum! (na lay kume) Which is the greeting we’ve learned in our “Survival Wolof” class so we can talk with our families a bit when we move in with them for training. So far we’re at the training centre for the most part, though we did go to the market today, which was SO overwhelming. I’ll tell you about that in a bit, but let’s start from the beginning:
Our day of travel on Wednesday was incredibly long, especially since I didn’t sleep on the plane from NY to Brussels, but at least I slept some from Brussels to Dakar. By the way, my phone doesn’t work here and didn’t in Brussels either so I won’t be able to get calls until I get a Senegalese phone from one of their companies. I was going to change my voice mail to say I am out of the country, but that won’t happen since I can’t even get service now. Oh well.
Anyway, we got in around midnight to Dakar. It was pretty crowded, and the way to the training center was interesting, though I slept through most of that as well. We had a welcome committee waiting for us with some “spaghetti” which I use loosely only due to the sauce. It was sort of like chili, but good nonetheless especially after over 24 hrs of traveling. All of the food has been very tasty, though I’ve heard it can vary a lot once we leave the center. We slept in until about nine the next morning and Friday was… interesting. I was incredibly overwhelmed, but right before dinner they did a “tam tam” which meant we had drummers come to the centre drums played music. A boy was teaching us how to dance and teaching us songs to sing. It was an amazing feeling being involved (they wouldn’t let us just stand there) and I felt SO much better after that. I think everyone did. Everything’s been pretty positive since then and I know there will be more difficult times, but it’s nice to know that won’t last forever.
One of the things that had me all frazzeled Friday was my French interview to see what my skills are. I was nervous, she busted out a tape recorder and I couldn’t think! My vocabulary and sentence structure was incredibly juvenile but at least I’ll show improvement later. It’s actually hard to think when people speak to you here, getting used to the language, people, culture, etc all at the same time. I also had my placement interview with Malik, who is the director of the medical program and we discussed me possibly working with other volunteers who are working in other projects like agriculture. I’m stoked about this because growing a garden would be a great way to combat malnutrition! But I don't have much of a green thumb...
As I type this I’m sitting in the “disco hut” with a bunch of other volunteers, hanging out in the wonderful fresh air and will be saving this on my zip drive because I can type faster on this computer and I know where the keys are. This whole experience is pretty great and I seriously can’t wait to get started and know the language for real. We went to the market today and it was overwhelming, but our trainers and safety officer warned us about pickpockets and things to watch for. People look at us skeptically until we greet them, then they smile. Apparantly that is the best way to make friends and ensure safety, it’s as simple as saying hello to as many people as possible. I ate lunch with my right hand today… my left hand is getting a break from life for a bit as far as interacting with others. It’s hard to remember though.

I’m not sure what else to include, so if you have questions, let me know and I’ll do my best to answer them. I wish my journal had carbon copy pages… I’ve been writing in it every night so far and there’s too much to put down so I’m sure I’ve left out something interesting. I miss you, but trying not to think of home too much! We have Sundays off so I will do my best to check in each week or so. I can’t believe I’ve only been here 3 days…

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike and I are happy that you made it safe and that you are still excited about your adventure.. we will be looking forward to your blogs on Sunday.
Tamie and Mike

Anonymous said...

Whats with the left hand, is it due to a lack of toilet paper? If yes, Remember : DO NOT TOUCH ANYONES LEFT HAND Cause that would be gross.

it sounds like youre having a great time and your trips hardly started, the drum/ dance circle sounds awesome. are you meeting cool people?

xo,
evey

Hannah Enenbach said...

It's funny, in almost every country with Muslim influence their greeting is something along those lines, but modified to fit the language. It always sounds similar though. In Indonesia it was 'Assalam Alaikum'.

Anyway, I'm sorry I couldn't make your going-away party. I hope the rest of your time goes as well as it has been going. I have a friend who spent a year in Senegal and LOVED it.

Anonymous said...

*raises hand* Um, yes, I have a question. Have you met your fiancee yet?

;-)

Peace Of Mind said...

Ooops, that last one was me, forgot to sign it...

(Apparently my hair color works the same way in Amsterdam.)

Anonymous said...

Hey Brit, sounds like so far so good. That spaghetti story was fun, sorta like Skyline Chili from Cincinnati only more exotic. When you get settled check out the hiking trails and let us know how they compare to the Rockies. Keep having fun. BFN.

Uncle Bruce

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it there ok! Cant wait to hear more about it as time goes on. =)

Jessica B

Anonymous said...

Hello from sunny Florida!!!!!
Just had to rub that in for Bruce and Steve, lol
Anyway I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures. So far you sound like you are doing quite well there.
Ok Skyline Chili? Do you have a recipe? lol

Love Uncle Ross and Aunt Pat

Brittany said...

haha no, no fiancee yet, or at least not that I have recognized but I have been proposed to already

Anonymous said...

For those of you useing stamps and not going into the postoffice...Postage FIY: on both the card and the letter i have sent to Brit was $1.80.

Anonymous said...

Spoke with Brit today and internet access is very limited, very slow and pricey. Plus she is limited as to when she is able to travel to where internet is available… So posting by her may be few and far between. I know she has found all of your postings, emails and letters, very supportive and very valuable to her mission and to her personally. I am sure getting US mail in this far, far away place is just a wonderful, love felt thing to receive. : ) As her Mom I thank you all for her much appreciated support. ********** what can I say?… Brit’s proud Mom.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I have ever been so informed about the Peace Corps in Africa as I am not.. sad, but true, I believe I have read each blog that any person has wrote.. I must say, I am very impressed that you are doing this and know that you will make a difference.. ( hi Melissa ) i hear you too have been reading them all too. Happy Easter Brittany and everyone else too. Tamie

Mark said...

Hi Britt!
Sorry I missed the partay. I just don't get out anymore. Time flies - can't believe you've been there over a week already. So you're probably all settled in and they can't even tell you apart from the people who were born there. -grin-

Take care, be well.

Cheers! - Mark

Anonymous said...

Mike mailed you a letter the other day. I think they said about 2 weeks.. so be looking for one.. if you can read his writing.. i could have typed it for him, but it needed to come completely from him, sloppy hand writing and all..
hope you blog soon. we are waiting patiently each day for new stories.
love Aunt Tamie and Uncle Mike

Maggie E. said...

Hi Brittany,

I am so glad to hear that you made it there ok. I am excited to read your next blog for an update. Sorry again for missing your going away party. I think you'd be happy to know that I am now bronchitis free! If your wondering... just a typical Friday morning at the office- taking clients to food banks and such. I have a feeling your having more fun than me though :)

Maggie E.