Thursday, February 28, 2008

Getting pretty excited!

Oh my Goodness! I leave in a week and a half...

I feel obligated, after my post from last week and sounding less than enthusiastic, to share my growing excitement with whoever is reading this! Two weeks from now, I will be on a plane over the Atlantic, about 2 hrs away from the airport in Dakar. Soon after that, I will be almost taking a step back in time. Ironing clothes with an iron that you load with hot coals, bathing with 2 liters of non-running water, using a bike to get around (as long as the large thorns aren't too difficult)... granted, I will take advantage of some modern day marvels, such as a headlamp to help me see at night and the internet that may be available, but how incredible to simplify life to needs rather than the want that has become America's "need."

I'm also looking forward to making a difference on a level that will be somewhat new, yet somewhat familiar. Working as a mental health case manager for the past year and a half has likely prepped me well for the challanges I will face, though from my experience, the little steps in progress are some of the most amazing and worthwhile experiences! Especially those you don't see coming...

Don't get me wrong, I will absolutely get home-sick, I will cry many tears, and at some point I will likely wish for the life I currently know. But how many people can say they've slept under the stars on a regular basis, or bathed without a roof over their head with only 2 liters of water, or been woken up by the sound of millet being pounded for the days meal, or learned to balance heavy objects on their head? Ok, so maybe a lot of people, but not many Americans.
We spend too much time in our little bubble...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was browsing the peace corps link you gave us in the email and found you here already.. wow.. only a week and a half.. I showed uncle Mike, as everyone knows he is intimidated by computers... so i let him read your post.. we wish you the best.. be safe..
Tamie

mico said...

Hey Brit me too, I was browsing. (hi Tamie) And here you are!
This is all very exciting - we are so very proud of you and we will be with you in heart and spirt the whole way no matter how long or short the journey.
Here is a little twist on a quote i love: never travel through life faster or further than your angels can fly. You're not Brit, they will always be with you.

love mom

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you as you begin this incredible journey! (although I will definitely miss you!) I know you'll make some amazing memories. I'll keep in touch, and stalk you via your blog now. :) You are a truly an amazing person, Brittany!

Love,
Kerry

Anonymous said...

Brittany, hello from Illinois, USA. As I'm writing this you are probably on a plane headed to your new home for awhile. We are proud of you taking on this very important assignment and wish you all the best. Stay safe, have fun, teach & learn lots. We will think of you often and be sure to regularly check in with your blog. Can't wait to hear all about your adventure -- and how much you can balance on your head :)

Bruce, Sharon, JJ & Khouri

Anonymous said...

Brit!

Wow...I can't believe you are already on your way. Way back when I met you as a little girl, I knew what a special person you are and what a special heart you have. You have good things to offer and good things will come back to you because of the person you have become. You should be very proud of yourself. We are! Love, Aunt Jennie and the rest of the gang!

Unknown said...

I figured i would check in with you and see how you are doing so far away. I hope you are staying safe and remembering all the people back here that are missing you and counting down the days until you arrive back. Keep me up to date with all your fun adventures and new stories that you will want to share. I have had angels watch over me all my life, I am sending you half of mine to keep you safe because you are very special and I want you to return home safe. Sending love to you.

Tim R.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lady,

I feel like I've said this a million times but I wish you the best! I am extremely curious to hear about the adventures you are about to embark in. You keep me updated and Molly and I will do our best to fulfill the one request you left us with. =)


Michelle